Westgate Collegiate students won’t have another day off school.
This following yesterday’s suspected gas leak, that sent them outside the building for part of the morning.
However, District Fire Chief John Kaplanis tells us it was not a gas leak, but the smell was coming from a substance, or residue, found on the outside of a tank in the basement.
After discussions with the Lakehead public board, and an environmental contractor, the fire department stated it’s ok to have a regular day.
They do advise though that any students or staff who experience unusual health symptoms to seek medical attention.
Meanwhile, it’s a good idea to sign up for the school’s new communication system for parents.
Superintendent of Business David Wright tells us they were able to reach over 700 parents and families.
Wright hopes more parents will sign up by visiting their website.